What does it mean when a landlord can give you 30 day notice instead of 60 if they've opened escrow with an agent?

Temecula, CA |

My husband and I received an email from a woman saying she's acting as our landlord’s agent and she wants to meet with us to discuss the decision they’ve made regarding the house. We think they're going to ask us to leave. Ordinarily, a landlord is required to give the tenant 60 day notice to vacate if they’ve lived there for a one or more years. I just read that an exception would be if the landlord has contracted to sell the rental unit to another person who intends to occupy it for at least a year after the tenancy ends. Does that mean that they have to be entered into contract with an actual buyer, or they just have to hire a real estate agent with intent to sell. Do they need to provide proof on either one?

If you have a month-to-month lease, the new owner can give you a 30-days notice, regardless of whether that person intends to live there. Until the sale, the landlord still must give you sixty days.

If I understand your answer correctly, you’re saying that if there is no sale and only and intent to sell; the owners are still required to give us 60 days’ notice.

James Carl Eschen III

James Carl Eschen III

That's right.

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful.

Another possibility is that they purchased the property as an investment and may want you to sign a new lease with them.