What does it mean when a landlord can give you 30 day notice instead of 60 if they've opened escrow with an agent?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Temecula, CA

My husband and I received an email from a woman saying she's acting as our landlord’s agent and she wants to meet with us to discuss the decision they’ve made regarding the house. We think they're going to ask us to leave. Ordinarily, a landlord is required to give the tenant 60 day notice to vacate if they’ve lived there for a one or more years. I just read that an exception would be if the landlord has contracted to sell the rental unit to another person who intends to occupy it for at least a year after the tenancy ends. Does that mean that they have to be entered into contract with an actual buyer, or they just have to hire a real estate agent with intent to sell. Do they need to provide proof on either one?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you have a month-to-month lease, the new owner can give you a 30-days notice, regardless of whether that person intends to live there. Until the sale, the landlord still must give you sixty days.

  2. Answered . Another possibility is that they purchased the property as an investment and may want you to sign a new lease with them.

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Notice to vacate property

A notice to vacate is a written notice from a landlord telling a tenant to move by a certain date. Often you'll have 30 days to leave, but state laws vary.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,555 answers this week

3,965 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,555 answers this week

3,965 attorneys answering