What does it mean when a document is entered in as "evidence" in a custody trial?

Englewood, FL |

My grandson had a modification of time share trial last Monday. There were about 3 documents that were entered into the court as evidence. What does that mean? There were a lot of documents total but, only 3 were entered in as evidence. Also how long does the judge take to make a decision?

It means that those documents will be considered by the judge in making a decision, in addition to any of the testimony given that day. The other documents that were not entered will not be considered. It's up to the judge how long it takes, that depends on the judge.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

There was not a court reporter present but, was all of the tesitmony recorded some other way?

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

If there was no court reporter, unless it was the type of action where there was an electronic court reporter, and it does not sound like it was, then the answer would be no. There are electronic court reporters in criminal cases, juvenile cases and domestic violence cases that I am aware of.

What are "minutes"? I did notice every time my graandson's ex would talk to her lawyer she would push a button on the microphone in front of them. I would assume it was muting the mic but I don't know

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Yes it mutes the mic which suggests there may be an electronic ct rep. Minutes are the court's notes Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ HD on AT&T > >---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=d80c7e0e72f625c635c6fe92a969e7957bc790873fb353b29448caeea45449001ea24ac01c704342 ) ----------------------------------------

THANK YOU!

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

You're welcome:)

I agree with my colleague. Everything entered into evidence becomes a part of the record. If one of the parties appeals the case, the appellate court will only consider the documents admitted into evidence and the testimony and whether the trial judge applied the correct law to the evidence before the in court. If the trial court refused to allow testimony or evidence during a trial, the appellate court can decide if it was lawfully excluded.