What does it mean when a court sets a pre trial date for an Petition to Partition??

Asked over 3 years ago - Hyannis, MA

My brother in law filed a petition to partition and the court set me an letter "saying" It is an order: that one week prior to the pre trial date all parties must sit down to talk.
When a petition to partition is set for a pretrial date what does this mean????

I'm the defendant and I objected to his partition.

1. Mark L Scheier

Answered . The pretrial date is a date set for a conference typically before the judge where certain procedural issues get worked out and discussions are held aboput possible settlement of the matter. A good judge will try to get th parties to work things out if feasible. At that time, if things cannot be worked out, usually a trial date will be set.

2. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Answered . I have experience handling petitions to partition, and I strongly recommend that you retain an attorney to see if something can be worked out.

Often, the court will refer the parties to 'conciliation' prior to a pretrial conference. If the judge has ordered that the parties attend, then it would be unwise for you to skip it. In any event, do not miss your upcoming pretrial hearing. Failure to attend will result in the court proceeding with the partition (sale of property) without your input.

If you would like representation, oftentimes a contingent fee arrangement of some kind can be arranged, depending upon the situation and goals of the parties.

Feel free to give me a call.