What does it mean to sponsor someone? I know it can mean different things.

Visalia, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Employment

My best friend does not have his papers. I am wondering if there is something my family can do to help him get them. I heard about sponsoring someone so they could live in the U.S. Is this something we could do?

Also, if there is some type of paperwork we would have to fil out, where do we get it?

For your friend, you could consider employment sponsorship. In that sense of sponsorship, as the prospective employer, you would need to sign labor certification application papers and immigrant papers stating your intent to employ him on a "permanent" basis -- there would be statements such as "no layoffs" etc, that you would need to sign as the case may be. In other instances of sponsorship such as with an immediate family member, the sponsorship would carry with it a financial aspect -- financial support so the applicant does not become a public charge.

Elizabeth C. Surin, Esq.
www.msgimmigration.com

Recommended articles about Immigration