What does it mean to reaffirm a mortgage?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mesa, AZ

My husband and I filed for Chapter 7 a few weeks ago. The only item we wish to keep is our home. We are current on our mortgage payments and will continue to make them as the bankruptcy progresses.

Can you please advise what it means to reaffirm this debt? I've seen various definitions as well as various opinions as to whether or not we need to follow through with the reaffirmation.

Any help will be very much appreciated! I will also ask our atty. but insomnia led me here tonight.

1. Douglas Garth Edmunds

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . The big deal here is that if you sign a reaffirmation agreement, and the judge allows it, you agree to be liable for that debt like the bankruptcy never happened. The reason this is not in your best interest it because the future is unknown. If your financial situation worsens, or disaster strikes, you could find yourself facing a foreclosure or short sale in the coming years where you are struck with a deficiency that could have been dealt with during the bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy has sufficient negative aspects to it that you should take advantage of the positive. I strongly discourage reaffirmations for real estate. It is simply rarely in your best interest.

2. Diane L Drain

Pro

2

1

Answered . Please ask your attorney. Make sure they explain the anti-deficency law. That law is currently being fine-tuned by some current court decisons.

3. James Portman Webster

Pro

1

1

Answered . I am an attorney in Mesa and have filed a number of cases. I discourage client's from signing the agreements and judge's may grant a reaffirmation, but there is no guarantee.

I volunteer to attend reaffirmation hearings with people in your situation.

As long as you make your payments you will keep your house.

In our jurisdiction, if the creditor wants you to sign, they will send you the agreement.

If you don't receive one, then it is not a big deal to your lender.

Jim Webster
    www.jpwlegal.com

1845 S. Dobson Rd. Ste 201
    Mesa, AZ 85202

(480) 464-4667
    Jim@jpwlegal.com

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

4. Patrick Begley

1

1

Answered . "Re-affirming" means that you are agreeing to be liable for the debt post-bankruptcy. If you are referring to the statement of intention, that is mainly to give creditors an idea about what you are intending to do with the property. Discuss the options with your attorney. He/she will know what is best for you to do.

Best of luck.

5. Alan D. Walton

Pro

1

Answered . There is no reason to reaffirm real estate loans.