What does it mean to be a tenant in possession?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Leandro, CA

If I moved in with my terminally ill father (to care for him) in April 2009, and my father died in July 2009, and I continued living on in his condo, do I have the same agreement as my father with the landlord? This is a condo unit with an HOA: I have notified the landlord in writing of the my father's death, and the landlord addressed me in writing as the "tenant in possession". As of today, I am still renting from the landlord, but I would like to ask him to paint and re-carpet the unit. Do I have the same tenant rights? What does this mean for me?

Thank you.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . Did your father have a lease agreement? In California, when a tenant who has a tenancy for a specified term (such as a one-year lease) dies, tenancy continues until the end of the lease term, despite the tenant's death. Responsibility for the rest of the lease term passes to the tenant's executor or administrator. (Joost v. Castle (1939) 33 Cal.App.2d 138).

If the tenant had a month-to-month tenancy, the tenancy is terminated by written notice of the tenant's death. (Civil Code Section 1934.) The tenancy ends on the 30th day following the tenant's last payment of rent before the tenant's death. No 30-day or 60-day notice is required to terminate such tenancy. (Miller & Desatnik Management Co. v. Bullock (1990) 221 Cal.App.3d Supp. 13, 18-19).