What does it mean post secondary education support is reserved? I need to apply for post secondary support for my daughter.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Coupeville, WA

Does it mean less steps for court proceedings? My dtr and I live in MO and the father lives in WA state. I am trying to figure out which way to do this; myself or if I need an attorney.

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . If you do not file a Petition to modify the order of child support to have him help pay for the child's college, before the child's 18th birthday or graduation from High School, whichever occurs first, you waive the right and cannot go back later and ask for it.

2. Peter Jaret Abbarno

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the previous answer. If post-secondary support is reserved then you may petition the court to continue child support for a dependent over the age of eighteen. You must apply for the post-secondary support before the later of the dependent graduating highschool or turning the age of eighteen.

3. Daniel Benn Ehrlich

Answered . I agree with the prior answers. Reserved means you can address it subsequently, because it is an issue that was left for later consideration. It does not mean less steps for court proceedings.