What does it mean if I went to my court date, but the DA did not have the police report for a Drunk in public?

Asked over 3 years ago - Oakland, CA

I was arrested for a drunk in public, I was not making a disturbance, they just noticed I had an unsteady gate. I was just trying to walk home (1/2 a block away). They arrested me and kept me over night. I was given a court date. I went to court and they had my name on a list that said I needed to go to the DA's office. When I got to the DA's office, they told me they had not received the police report and that I need to call back in a week to see if charges will be filed. Is this a good or bad sign for my case or normal for minor cases. I asked a couple people who had the same thing and they felt that it is a good sign that the case might be dropped?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. George L. Aldrich

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . It is neither a good nor bad sign. The D.A. is awaiting the report from the police. When they receive the report the D.A. will then decide to charge you or to not charge you. You have to go back to your next court date.

  2. David Jon Pullman

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It is a slightly good sign. The police will probably eventually put together a report and the DA will make a charging decision, but as long as it hasn't happened, it's possible that it won't. They have one year from the date of the incident to charge you. If they do, you should think about going to trial. I'm assuming you will be charged with, if anything, 647(f). To prove you guilty of this, a jury of twelve people have to unanimously agree that, beyond a reasonable doubt, not just that you were drunk, but that you were so drunk that you were unable to care for your own safety or the safety of others. You can expect that the police officer will exaggerate, but it will still be very difficult for them to prove. If you do get charged and you would like to hire a lawyer to help you beat this, feel free to give me a call. - David Pullman 866-244-5004

  3. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Understand that the police do not file charges but merely make recommendations. It appears that the DA has yet to receive the police report. Without a copy of the police report the DA cannot determine if they will file criminal charges. Drunk in public cases are difficult for a DA to prove. They have to prove that you were a danger to yourself or others. Just stumbling unless you were stumbling in the street will usually not be enough.
    Robert Driessen

  4. Loren Michael Merlin

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . At this time the court not having the police report means nothing. But just hope that the DA never receives the police report and more likely your charges will be dropped. Since the report has not been received by now it may be that no report was ever completed, because police reports are completed near the time of the incident or shortly after.

    So good luck!!

    Disclaimer: This does not establish an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice. Please retain a local attorney when you need legal representation.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal court

A criminal court tries only criminal offenses, such as theft, assault and battery, or drug possession. Civil courts handle civil cases, such as lawsuits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,359 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,359 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering