What does it mean if a detective did not show up for my interview?

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

He told me I am a suspect in a criminal case and wants to talk to me. We arranged to meet at my home at a certain time. I was at home at the time we discussed and waited for 30 minutes and he never showed. I even called him to see what happened but he didn't answer and never called me back. Should I be worried about anything?

1. Yes. You should always be worried if a detective has asked to interview you as a suspect.

May I suggest that you seek the assistance of a reputable criminal defense lawyer immediately.

Standard advice for persons suspected of crimes and being investigated is to NOT talk to the police, but instead to hire a criminal defense lawyer.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

2. Yes. But not because he didn't show up, because you are a suspect in a criminal investigation. You should not meet with him or make any statement to the police under any circumstances. They are not just "trying to clear this up." They are trying to build a case against you. They will twist everything you say and use it against you. You need to consult an attorney. Most of us offer free consultations. I would start calling attorneys as soon as possible to get some guidance.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.