What does it mean by "eligible for benefits under... beginning with compensable week ending month/date/year?"

Marcus Hook, PA |

I got a letter from the commonwealth of PA dept of labor.
The "Determination" section reads that "the claimant is eligible for benefits under section 402-e of PA unemployment compensation law beginning with the comepnsable week ending 3/30/13."
I am planning on writing an appeal letter, but I want to know what this means first. Thank you so much for reading.

1. This is actually an unemployment compensation question that has been posted in the workers compensation forum. Section 402 e of the Pennsylvania unemployment compensation act refers to disqualification for unemployment compensation benefits as a result of the employee's willful misconduct. Ordinarily willful misconduct is proved by establishing the employees violated some policy or rule of the employer. however, the concept is much broader than bad and the other types of Conduct can rise to the level of willful misconduct. If you are the employees and you received this determination, it is a favorable determination and you do not need to appeal. If you are an employer, and you received this determination, you will need to appeal. At the hearing, it will be your burden to prove that your employees was discharged do to willful misconduct.

This answer to your legal inquiry is based upon the limited facts stated in your question. Accurate legal advice is based upon an exchange between a lawyer and a client. The lawyer can then ask about other facts that may change or confirm the answer. Without that exchange, this reply should be considered limited in value. You should rely on this answer only at your own risk. Direct consultation with a lawyer is always recommended. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answering attorney is licensed in Pennsylvania and all answers are given pursuant to Pennsylvania law, unless otherwise indicated.

2. This is not a Workers' Compensation question, it is Unemployment Compensation. People often confuse the two, but they are distinctly different and are overseen by different organizations within the Department of Labor and Industry. I do not handle UC, but it sounds as though the letter you received authorized you to begin receiving UC benefits as of 3/30/13. If you are unsure, you should seek a consultation with an UC attorney.