What does it mean by "Affiant non marital debts" ..this is on my sworn financial statement but i dont understand it..divorce

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

what does it mean by "Affiant non marital debts" ..this is on my sworn financial statement but i dont understand it..divorce

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . An attorney that specializes in family law could help you through the process, but since it appears you are going it alone, I can give you some thoughts.

In Colorado, the marital estate is divided equitable -- that means fairly and not necessarily 50/50. Non-marital debts of the affiant are those debts that you are claiming were not created during the course of the marriage or assumed during the course of the marriage by you and your spouse. The most common example is student loans that pre-date the marriage or other credit card debt. If you brought such things to the marriage, you are walking away with the same stuff!!

You are the affianr (the person swearing to the contents of the sworn financial statement).

Good luck to you.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

2

Answered . Excellent statements by Mr. Deady. These are student loans, credit card debts, and other liquid debts that you incurred before the marriage.