What does it mean "after issue has been joined" in Motion for Summary Judgment?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

In NY CPLR 3212 "Motion for summary judgment" (a) Time; kind of action, it says "Any party may move for summary judgment in any action, after issue has been joined". What does "after issue has been joined" here?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . After the defendant serves an Answer to the complaint.

2. Joshua Richmond Lippes

6

Answered . "Issue has been joined" means that all parties have joined the action. If you are the plaintiff, then it means that the defendant has answered the complaint.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

5

Answered . After the answer is received. Check motion schedule at the PC conference.