What does I-140 process focus on and what are the W2 and paystub requirements for I-140?

San Jose, CA |

I got my I-140 approved from an employer in with PERM priority date in year 2010. Then I had to switch employers (in 2011) and got my Labor approved this year (2013) with new employer. For filling I-140 with new employer the company lawyer (as a standard requirement I guess) wants all paystubs and W2s right from my previous I-140 priority date (i.e. in 2010). Is this a standard requirement? I don't understand why would paystubs and W2s from my previous employer help for my I-140 filling with new employer (unless the lawyer assumed that previous I-140 was filled by my new employer and asked by mistake). My understanding is that I-140 process focuses on measuring the ability of the sponsoring employer's ability to pay, and nothing to do with my previous employer. Is my understanding correct?

1. Workers' compensation is for on the job injuries. This doesn't sound like a WC question. I will transfer it for you to immigration law section.