What does general release from jail mean

Asked about 2 years ago - Warren, MI

he got picked up for under the infulence and not stopping at an accident

1. James S. Lawrence

Pro

1

Answered . Under these circumstances, if the defendant got a general release from the jail, it means that charges have not yet been filed against him. This is becoming more common in drunk driving cases, as they sometimes wait to get back the lab results. In that case, when charges are filed, he will either be notified to come in and surrender, or arrested without notice.

If he is still being held in jail, he should appear before a judge, normally within 72 hours, and the judge will set bond. If he gets a personal bond, then he can go home without paying money, but will still have to show up on his next court date. If it is a cash bond or 10% bond, he will have to pay money to get out of jail.

Contact an attorney to defend him if you can afford it, otherwise, the judge will appoint him an attorney while or after he appears in court. Earlier is usually better than later.