What does fugitive from justice mean? and what jail sentence does this carry?

Murfreesboro, TN |
Filed under: Criminal defense

friend was pulled over. and when they ran that persons name. they said that the friend has a fugitive from justice charge. what does this mean? and ejat is the jail time on this charge?

Your friend must have an outstanding warrant from from another state. The fugitive from justice warrant is not a separate charge. It is a mechanism used to get your friend to the other state to answer that state's

It is used to hold the individual until the other state can come pick them up. When the other state comes to pick your friend up then the fugitive from justice warrent will be dropped.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

I agree with my colleagues. Fugitive from Justice is a means to hold an individual who has an outstanding warrant in another state. A sentence, if any, would be tied to the outstanding warrant.

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My answers are intended for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf without a written retainer agreement. I am licensed only in Tennessee. Therefore, if you are outside the state of Tennessee, it is recommended that you consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.

Someone should contact and hire an attorney in the other state where your friend will be transferred to. Get the ball rolling now because it is a long process getting transferred from one state to another. He will be ready to get out once he gets to the other state. It would be good to have someone ready to request bond immediately.

The information you obtain from this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting me does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.