What does Form (Form I-797) for a refugee travel document application mean?

Houston, TX |

hello,
I applied for a refugee travel document and yesterday I received this letter in the email from USCIS:

Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number xxxxxxxxxxxxx. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your case using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.

What does that mean? don't I have to do biometrics and fingerprinting ? is the form I797C going to arrive later for the appointment or what?

1. It means exactly what it says, that the filing has been accepted and sent to the Nebraska Service Center for processing.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. It means your case has been accepted for processing and that you can check its status online as its being processed. You will receive your actual refugee travel document approximately 4 - 6 months later. Please make certain that your mailing address remains current with USCIS.

Husna Alikhan, Esq., www.alikhanlaw.com TEL: 702-374-6619. Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your specific situation. Our posting is intended to provide general information of interest to the public. Facts relevant to your situation and not disclosed in your posting may affect your specific legal rights and remedies.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.