What does Docket Date mean?

Mesa, AZ |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

My husband and I were involved in a Superior Court case for Breach of Contract and lost. A judgment was awarded. I've followed the court case entries online and

Feb 9 the judge signed the judgment. Feb 9 was the docket date.

The next entry was for Feb 29 saying Judgment NOTE: Notice of filing and entry provided to the parties. The Docket date was March 21.

There are no further entries. Last communication we rcvd was a letter stating the amt the judge approved for Atty fees/costs.

I'm surprised that the other party has not begun some type of collection actions (that we are aware of) or at least contacted us regarding payment. Could the docket date be why? Can you pls explain what the docket date is and it's purpose? Did we make an error by not rspndng to these entries?

The entries you are describing are the courts method of describing the date that the documents were filed with the Clerk of the Court.

It is unusual to receive a letter telling you that the judge approved the attorneys fees instead of a minute entry, but you do not say who the letter was from.

As the judgment has now been entered and the attorneys fees approved, the creditor will record the judgment with the county clerk to create a lien on your property if you have any. Expect collection efforts to start shortly. If you or your employer is served with notice of garnishment, there will be court date. You should not ignore that as you may have a defense or basis for reduction of the amount. Also be aware that major banks may also be garnished and any funds in that account when the bank is served will sweep the money from your account.

Last point is that the amount of the judgment may dictate how much effort the creditor will put into collection efforts.

The information contained in this response should not be construed as legal advice on any specific facts or circumstances. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this response without professional counsel. The contents are intended for general information purposes only and the information contained in this is not intended to create or constitute an attorney-client relationship.

2. Your time to appeal starts with the date the judgment was signed. There are numerous reasons why collection on the judgment may not have started yet. however, it will likely start at some point. Your appeal time began from the date the judgment was entered.