What does disposition of court action PG PHL 0229 0V mean in New York criminal court? Does it go on my record?

New York, NY |

What does disposition of court action PG PHL 0229 0V mean when you are convicted of a misdemeanor charge in New York?

Also the disposition says Sealed After Conviction. What does this mean? Am I convicted of the original misdemeanor charge, or am I convicted of the PGPHL0229 OV?

I paid the $25 fine. Will I have a criminal record?

1. You are convicted of the charge listed in PGPHL0229 OV in NY. It is sealed so it is not a misdemeanor.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. This is a violation of the Public Health Law. It is not a crime, it is sealed, and you do not have a criminal record.

3. It is a penalties section of the Public Health Law. It is a violation and did not give you a criminal record.

§ 229. Sanitary code; violation; penalties. The provisions of the
    sanitary code shall have the force and effect of law and the
    non-compliance or non-conformance with any provision thereof shall
    constitute a violation punishable on conviction for a first offense by a
    fine not exceeding two hundred fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not
    exceeding fifteen days, or both; and for a second or subsequent offense
    by a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not
    exceeding fifteen days, or both.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. No, you will not have a criminal record for your misdemeanor conviction. You got the violation in New York which is not a crime and therefore no criminal record will result.

5. It means PG (plead guilty to) PHL (Public Health Law) 0229 0V (Section 229.0) (a violation not a crime). You have not been convicted of a crime and the record of your violation has been sealed. This is the violation that is used most frequently in 346 Broadway and most Summons courts to avoid you having to pay an additional and more costly court surcharge.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office and adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com