What does discharge and release garnishee mean?

Phoenix, AZ |

We have a judgement against us and the attorney is trying to go after us. we have been getting letters from them to settled. Today we got a letter stating the above question.

What does this mean?

The letter also had an attachment "ORDER DISCHARGING AND RELEASING GARNISHEE". We haven't settled with the debt collector and I am not sure why they are sending this letter. Can someone please explain?

With a judgment against you, the creditor has a collection remedy of garnishment, which is a procedure to seize your property to pay the judgment.

In a garnishment, you may be described as a garnishee, being the one who suffers from the legal effect of a garnishment, and if the judgment is settled or paid, then a release will discharge, or cancel, the debt.

Filing bankruptcy may also provide you a discharge of the judgment.
    You may benefit from consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney, to review your financial situation, before paying or settling on a judgment.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

2. The garnishee is usually your employer. It sounds like the attorney has received information that the garnishee is not holding any assets due to you like wages.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.