What does discharge and release garnishee mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

We have a judgement against us and the attorney is trying to go after us. we have been getting letters from them to settled. Today we got a letter stating the above question.

What does this mean?

The letter also had an attachment "ORDER DISCHARGING AND RELEASING GARNISHEE". We haven't settled with the debt collector and I am not sure why they are sending this letter. Can someone please explain?

1. Stephen M Trezza

Pro

2

Answered . The garnishee is usually your employer. It sounds like the attorney has received information that the garnishee is not holding any assets due to you like wages.

2. Peter Walter Weston

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . With a judgment against you, the creditor has a collection remedy of garnishment, which is a procedure to seize your property to pay the judgment.

In a garnishment, you may be described as a garnishee, being the one who suffers from the legal effect of a garnishment, and if the judgment is settled or paid, then a release will discharge, or cancel, the debt.

Filing bankruptcy may also provide you a discharge of the judgment.
    You may benefit from consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney, to review your financial situation, before paying or settling on a judgment.