What does discharge and release garnishee mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

We have a judgement against us and the attorney is trying to go after us. we have been getting letters from them to settled. Today we got a letter stating the above question.

What does this mean?

Additional information

The letter also had an attachment "ORDER DISCHARGING AND RELEASING GARNISHEE". We haven't settled with the debt collector and I am not sure why they are sending this letter. Can someone please explain?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen M Trezza


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The garnishee is usually your employer. It sounds like the attorney has received information that the garnishee is not holding any assets due to you like wages.

    This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we... more
  2. Peter Walter Weston


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . With a judgment against you, the creditor has a collection remedy of garnishment, which is a procedure to seize your property to pay the judgment.

    In a garnishment, you may be described as a garnishee, being the one who suffers from the legal effect of a garnishment, and if the judgment is settled or paid, then a release will discharge, or cancel, the debt.

    Filing bankruptcy may also provide you a discharge of the judgment.
    You may benefit from consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney, to review your financial situation, before paying or settling on a judgment.

    General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,236 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,236 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering