What does dead docket mean, and can a case be dismissed from dead docket, and how long of a wait, before it can be dismissed?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Columbus, GA

I have a simple battery case that was dismissed in May 2003. I would like for it to be dismissed. How long does it have to be dead docketed before it can be dismissed and what procedures will I have to take to do this. The inicident happened in Columbus, GA. I was screaming and called 911 cause my husband was fighting me and when the cops got there they arrested me because he had scratches in his face.

1. Stephen Scot Sikes

Answered . The term "dead docket" is used in the Georgia criminal field to label a decision by a prosecutor to place the case in a "dead" status. In effect, it is like a dismissal with the caveat that the case could (technically) be revisited later if the accused engages in nay additional misconduct. Dead docketed cases rarely get brought back to life, however. Unless there is some reason to issue you proof of dead docketing, neither the Court nor the DA usually sends anything out. You might consider going to the State Court Clerk's office on the 2nd Fllor of the Government Center and see if they can print you the page from their system showing dead docket status.