What does child support cover?

Princeton, NJ |

I have a child support modification hearing next week. I am being asked to pay for all medical expenses, ex in-laws have custody and feel they are not responsible for any medical bills. They also want me to reimburse them for misc. expenses for ex. school trips, sports the boys play,any tournaments the boys enter and training camps. Am I obligated to pay for the misc. expenses? I already pay child support.

Unreimbursed/uncovered medical expenses in excess of $250 a year are not included in your child support payment. Child Support is intended to cover contributions toward housing; food; clothing; transportation; entertainment, etc... Technically, the costs of extracurricular activities is already factored into the child support obligation, although it is not uncommon for a court to require a parent to contribute to the satisfaction of costs associated with extracurricular activities in addition to a basic child support obligation.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

How far back can they go to collect past medical expenses?

Kenneth A White

Kenneth A White

The law states that the right to recover a parent's proportionate share of uncovered/unreimbursed medical expenses is never waived. However, some Judges will refuse to go back to far, perhaps citing equitable reasons or simply being too lazy. But the correct, legal conclusion, is that the right to recover funds due for uncovered/unreimbursed medical expenses cannot be found to have been waived.

A great idea is to Google questions before (or after) asking them here. I Googled yours and added NJ o the end. Got a decent answer: http://jefhenninger.hubpages.com/hub/newjersey-childsupport

More specifically to your case, it depends. Depends on the incomes involved, the nature of the expenses, other aspects of the case.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Child support will include extracurricular activities but not private school tuition or camps.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Child support is determined by using the New Jersey child support guidelines. The guidelines utilize an income proportionate calculation to determine the noncustodial parent's weekly child support obligation.  This weekly obligation is then adjusted to account for the noncustodial parent's overnight schedule, the cost of medical insurance, any extraordinary or reoccurring medical expenses, daycare costs and any other support obligation.

Theoretically, the guidelines are supposed to cover approximately one third of the custodial parent's "fixed costs" such as mortgage payments, one third of the custodial parents "variable costs" such as food and utilities and one third of the custodial parent's "controlled costs" which include extracurricular activities for the children. Additionally, the guidelines are presumed to include the first $250 per child per year of uncovered or unreimbursed medical expenses and educational expenses.

The child support calculation is presumed to be the accurate number and in the child's best interest. The court, however, does have the ability to deviate from the child support guidelines if it is found to be in the child's best interest.

This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice Is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.

Child custody topics