What does a report on domestic violence mean? No one was arrested.

Mount Airy, NC |
Filed under: Domestic violence

What does it mean when police come to your house for a domestic violence report (I called 911 b/c I was afraid it would get out of hand since we had both slapped each other and it felt as if it was escalating.) The officer talked to us; got the story; took our information; and asked if anyone had any physical signs which we did not. No pictures were taken and neither of us went to the magistrate. He said all he would do is put the info in his report. He gave us both victim papers and then our son started crying and my wife ran up stairs. The last thing he asked for was that we thought things would be calm the rest of the night and if we had a long term solution. Which we do. Is this over since no one was arrested and neither of us wanted to press charges?

From what you describe, it sounds like the is the end of it. Police will often just make a report to document that they responded to a call and to document what they were told. If no one was arrested and if neither of you went to the magistrate to take out charges or to the magistrate or courthouse to seek a Domestic Violence protective order, then you probably are just in a situation where there is a piece of paper on file with the police that says they came to your house, but no one will do anything with that report.