Skip to main content

What does a re-arrest mean?

New Haven, CT |

Ex-boyfriend failed to appear in court and now has a re-arrest ordered, what does this mean, and what happens next?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A warrant for a Failure to Appear has been issued. This is a new criminal charge. An FTA for a misdemeanor is another misdemeanor charge and an FTA for a felony is an additional felony charge. Depending on the court and when the new warrant was issued, he may be able to turn himself in at court and move to vacate the warrant. Otherwise the police can pick him up at anytime. Bail problems may also result. Still, there are ways to defend an FTA.


I agree with Attorney DeMatteo. I also want to add that your boyfriend should retain a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. The longer the FTA warrant is pending, the more difficult the case will be to resolve. Besides, it is only a matter of time before he is picked up on the warrant. He needs to deal with this sooner rather than later.

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.


I agree with the previous attorneys. Because he did not show up for court, he was charged with a Failure to Appear. He may want to consider contacting the court to see if it is not too late to vacate the warrant for his arrest. If too much time has passed, it may be too late. Either way, he should try to resolve this immediately.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer