What does a quit claim deed convey as far as ownership rights?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tarpon Springs, FL

My ex-spouse filled out a quit claim deed naming our son only on the deed. He intended to have my son inherit his rights in the house upon his death, which has now occurred. This home is in Missouri. What is the process now for him to claim this property? This was done when he refinanced the house in 2008.

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

12

1

Best Answer

Answered . A quit claim deed, like a warranty deed or a special warranty deed, conveys all of the interest that your ex-husband had to the property. Rather than being concerned about the type of deed, you should be concerned about what the wording of the deed said was being conveyed. You should have this reviewed by an experienced lawyer in Missouri to determine what steps your son needs to take with respect to the property.

2. Andrew March Lyons

8

Answered . I agree with all the other attorneys who suggested that you seek the advice of a Missouri attorney here. However, if the quit claim deed was signed, delivered, and possibly even recorded prior to your ex-spouse's demise, then your son owns whatever interest your ex-spouse had in the property at the time the quit claim deed was signed and delivered, and hopefully recorded. This would mean that there is nothing your son need do, as he owned your ex-spouse's share as soon as the deed was signed. Seek the opinion of local counsel, just to be safe.

3. Heather Morcroft

6

Answered . Whatever rights he had . But a quitclaim deed is not a way to pass property at death. In any case, if the property is in Missouri, you need to post this with a Missouri address to get advice on property deeds and probate procedures in Missouri.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  4. James P. Frederick

6

1

Answered . I agree that the quit claim deed passes whatever interest he had in the property. You should have this reviewed by an attorney because there may be a number of different issues, particularly from a tax perspective. But if the deed was properly executed and recorded, then all your son would need to do at this point is to record a certified copy of the death certificate.

Hopefully, the deed was prepared by a lawyer who knew what he/she was doing. I have seen many homemade deeds that were not prepared property, and it resulted in probate being necessary.

James Frederick

5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Full ownership subject to liens, mortgages of record etc.

6. Andrew F. Garofalo

2

Answered . See my video on this topic on YouTube.