What does a Non-Guilty Plea mean in criminal cases in Texas?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

My ex husband accused me of a crime I did not commit in order to gain leverage over me in a custody law suit he filed. The DA said he would give me a non-guilty plea. Does that mean it is really not-guilty and not go on my record? Why wouldn't he just dismiss the case?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

2

Answered . You either plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty, you have a trial. If you plead guilty, you are either sentenced to jail time or are placed on probation. If you are placed on probation, you will never be able to expunge your record. If you are placed on deferred probation, you will be able to seal the record unless it is a family violence case. As you can see, there are many ancillary consequences to plea agreements that the DA is not going to tell you about. You need to hire an experienced defense attorney to handle this case for you. Most of us offer free consultations. I would start calling around as soon as possible.

2. Stephen Andrew Hamer

Answered . I think you are confused. Definitely get a criminal defense attorney ASAP. Use the FIND A LAWYER tab above to search for local criminal defense attorneys. If you cannot afford one, see if you qualify for court appointed attorney.