What does a Non-Guilty Plea mean in criminal cases in Texas?

Dallas, TX |

My ex husband accused me of a crime I did not commit in order to gain leverage over me in a custody law suit he filed. The DA said he would give me a non-guilty plea. Does that mean it is really not-guilty and not go on my record? Why wouldn't he just dismiss the case?

I think you are confused. Definitely get a criminal defense attorney ASAP. Use the FIND A LAWYER tab above to search for local criminal defense attorneys. If you cannot afford one, see if you qualify for court appointed attorney.

BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

My ex accused me of using his credit card without his permission. He got a DA to believe him. We have been divorced for years. I didn't do it. I have a criminal defense lawyer that won't answer my questions. He told me that the DA is giving me a non-guilty plea, pay the money back that my ex-husband said I took, we waited for a restitution amount for nearly 9 months, which was much higher than the amount I was charged with; initial amount was $700 and the restitution amount ended up at almost 4k. My lawyer told me I should take the deal and not go to trial because a trial would cost me more. The DA said my ex also wants a "letter of apology". He said the letter can be crafted in a way that doesn't admit guilt. Second question, if the DA told my lawyer to tell me to write the letter of apology and I don't what happens/ If I pay the money but not the letter. My ex has lots of people write letters and uses it against them twisting the words on the letter.

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Sounds like you may need new criminal defense attorney. Listen to everything Attorney Jaggers said.

You either plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty, you have a trial. If you plead guilty, you are either sentenced to jail time or are placed on probation. If you are placed on probation, you will never be able to expunge your record. If you are placed on deferred probation, you will be able to seal the record unless it is a family violence case. As you can see, there are many ancillary consequences to plea agreements that the DA is not going to tell you about. You need to hire an experienced defense attorney to handle this case for you. Most of us offer free consultations. I would start calling around as soon as possible.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

I am so scared~~~ I live in court because of my rich, abusive ex-husband. I don't trust anything anyone tells me. I do not want to get screwed on this, especially since I didn't do it and it can be proven! My ex accused me of using his credit card without his permission. He got a DA to believe him. We have been divorced for years. I didn't do it. I have a criminal defense lawyer that won't answer my questions. He told me that the DA is giving me a non-guilty plea, pay the money back that my ex-husband said I took, we waited for a restitution amount for nearly 9 months, which was much higher than the amount I was charged with; initial amount was $700 and the restitution amount ended up at almost 4k. My lawyer told me I should take the deal and not go to trial because a trial would cost me more. The DA said my ex also wants a "letter of apology". He said the letter can be crafted in a way that doesn't admit guilt. Second question, if the DA told my lawyer to tell me to write the letter of apology and I don't what happens/ If I pay the money but not the letter. My ex has lots of people write letters and uses it against them twisting the words on the letter. My ex has accused a LOT of people of using his credit card without permission. Someone has to stop him!

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

If you are not confidant in your attorney, I suggest consulting with at least two others before making a decision about how to dispose of the case. You may find that other attorneys give you similar advice--or offer a completely different solution.

thank you. That is why I am asking the question here. i don't understand what a non-guilty plea, paying restitution and writing an apology letter mean to me. Do I have to write the apology letter?

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

There is no such thing as a non-guilty plea. No one online can properly advise you how to proceed in your case because we have not had access to the discovery in the case. An in-person consultation will give you time for a more in-depth conversation with an attorney so that they can at least have a better idea of what your options may be.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

You don't have to write an apology letter or do anything else you don't want to do. You have the right to plead not guilty and demand a jury trial.

Thank you! This is insane in many ways. I spoke to a few lawyers and they said take the deal. They did not tell me there was no such thing as a non-guilty plea. So I am guessing the DA told my lawyer; here is the deal "I will make her case non-guilty if she pays back the money (which I didn't take) and writes a letter of apology! I said NO way will I write a letter of apology for something I didn't do, and I know him - he will haunt me with this letter of apology for the rest of my life as an admission of guilt. Why can't I ever find good representation.