What does a motion to suppress trial means.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

I am a witness and got a notification to appear in court but it says there is a motion to suppress the trial. I dont understand what this means.

1. Carolyn Capri Garber

4

Answered . There is no such thing as a motion to suppress a trial. A motion to suppress seeks to throw out any evidence and/or statements that were obtained in violation of a defendant's constitutional rights. Usually, if evidence or statements are suppressed, the State cannot proceed to trial because they will lack sufficient proof without the evidence/statements. Sometimes, a motion to suppress is heard just before trial or even, on rare occasions, during trial. So your notice may mean that both the motion to suppress and the trial are being held on the same date. If you received a subpoena to appear, there will be a name and contact information for the attorney who is subpoenaeing you on the subpoena. Call that number and talk to them if you are still confused.

2. Mark H Randall

Pro

3

Answered . The Defendant in a criminal case is challenging some of the evidence that the state has against him and has filed a "motion." There will be a hearing. You apparently know something which will help him. You should contact the defense attorney and tell him what you know or don't know. If you think you might be implicated in a crime by your testimony, you need to consult with an attorney since anything you say could be used against you. And of course, always tell the truth!!!

3. David Richard Damore

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague

4. Gene Edward Mitchell

Answered . There is no such thing