What does a mandatory court appearance without a fine mean for a parking ticket?

Kansas City, MO |

I received two tickets for one parking incident. Although I was in a no parking zone the ticket states they are for an ordinance violation called "Stop Stand Park Prohibit". One ticket has a fine and the other a mandatory court date. What does the latter mean?

Mandatory court date probably means exactly what it sounds like - you have to go to court. The "Stop Stand Park Prohibit" thing is probably a charge code that may cover the ordinance under which you are charged. Read through the tickets again and make sure they are for the same thing - you may be able to assert double jeopardy.

The answer to this question is not intended to be construed as legal advice. Nothing in this answer creates an attorney/client relationship. I do not represent you. If you wish to consult me regarding representation, please visit my website at

This is the statute that I think your charge falls under. Without knowing more facts I would say that you need to seek legal advice to go to court. If the ticket states that it is a mandatory appearance and you fail to appear, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

If you have not found an attorney you can contact my office at 816-472-4357 and fax or email the tickets to my office. I would be happy to do a free review to let you know what can be done.

This is for general information solely. The actual outcome of your particular situation may be different depending on your specific facts. This does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.