What does a entertainment lawyer do?

Saginaw, MI |

Will a entertainment lawyer help me setup the structure of my record company and get the contracts I need to run it?

I would think that you are looking for more of a business lawyer who can both establish the business entity and prepare and review the contracts that you need. Someone who has experience doing this in an entertainment context might be helpful. But it would not be necessary, strictly speaking. Business lawyers set up all kinds of different companies. It helps to be familiar with the contracts involved.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

2. Yes, if the entertainment lawyer is also a business law attorney. If by "get the contracts" you mean do your marketing, then NO that is done by an agent. For sure an entertainment lawyer should be able to help you with the structure of your "record company". Go to Amazon or your public library and get some books on the recording industry so you know enough to be a good client and to demand good legal help. With technology making it possible to have a high class recording studio in your basement, realize they are thousands like you trying to be the next MOTOWN or the next Michael Curb. The odds are slim and the road extremely hard. You show promise by asking at the outset about getting a lawyer, which is something few of your competitors do at the start and which is why they fail and you might just succeed. Good Luck.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

3. An experienced entertainment attorney can do all of the above and much more. Depending on their experience, they can provide immeasurable counsel and assistance in developing your business plan and goals.