What does a entertainment lawyer do?

Asked about 2 years ago - Saginaw, MI

Will a entertainment lawyer help me setup the structure of my record company and get the contracts I need to run it?

1. James P. Frederick

3

Best Answer

Answered . I would think that you are looking for more of a business lawyer who can both establish the business entity and prepare and review the contracts that you need. Someone who has experience doing this in an entertainment context might be helpful. But it would not be necessary, strictly speaking. Business lawyers set up all kinds of different companies. It helps to be familiar with the contracts involved.

James Frederick

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, if the entertainment lawyer is also a business law attorney. If by "get the contracts" you mean do your marketing, then NO that is done by an agent. For sure an entertainment lawyer should be able to help you with the structure of your "record company". Go to Amazon or your public library and get some books on the recording industry so you know enough to be a good client and to demand good legal help. With technology making it possible to have a high class recording studio in your basement, realize they are thousands like you trying to be the next MOTOWN or the next Michael Curb. The odds are slim and the road extremely hard. You show promise by asking at the outset about getting a lawyer, which is something few of your competitors do at the start and which is why they fail and you might just succeed. Good Luck.

3. Robert A. Stumpf

3

1

Answered . Those are two things they can do, yes.

4. Ivan Jose Parron

Pro

Answered . An experienced entertainment attorney can do all of the above and much more. Depending on their experience, they can provide immeasurable counsel and assistance in developing your business plan and goals.