What does a entertainment lawyer do?

Saginaw, MI |

Will a entertainment lawyer help me setup the structure of my record company and get the contracts I need to run it?

I would think that you are looking for more of a business lawyer who can both establish the business entity and prepare and review the contracts that you need. Someone who has experience doing this in an entertainment context might be helpful. But it would not be necessary, strictly speaking. Business lawyers set up all kinds of different companies. It helps to be familiar with the contracts involved.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

It sounds to me like the need is probably more for an agent or personal manager or marketing person, with the lawyer doing as you say - preparing form contracts for the agent to use and then reviewing and tailoring the exceptions into custom contracts, and importantly to enforce the contracts when (not if) the artists' egos get in the way of contract compliance. You know, when the artist gets a big head and (perhaps rightly) says the deal must be renegotiated to give the artist more now that the artist has "made it" and "become a star", or when the artist says the little label is too small and the artist wants to bolt to a major label.

Those are two things they can do, yes.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Another point grab answer of bankrupt substance. Here's some constructive feedback. Your high volume of short, low quality answers gives a perception, perhaps false, of a high volume, low quality approach to legal work, which discourages referrals. No doubt you will disagree or get irate, but that is how you come across to me. On this specific one, in fact entertainment lawyers do not normally get the contracts, they more often review them, revise them and occasionally (on the key ones) negotiate them. Agents get the contracts. Studio managers get the contracts. Marketing and sales people generate contracts. Some of the top entertainment lawyers are plaintiff specialists who serve more as "enforcers" to stave off infringements and find counterproductive for them to have the image of a compromiser needed to get contracts, except settlement contracts involving submission of the other side. Others, with long industry experience as dealmakers rather than deal breakers, have so many agency and studio contacts, contracts, and deals that they are very good at getting new contracts since they know what deals are being made and by whom and who needs what sort of talent - but generally that is the agent's task not the lawyer's task..

Robert A. Stumpf

Robert A. Stumpf

I don't need to get irate, Bruce. I don't take your unprofessional sniping that seriously in the first place. The user felt my answer was helpful, and that's what matters.

Yes, if the entertainment lawyer is also a business law attorney. If by "get the contracts" you mean do your marketing, then NO that is done by an agent. For sure an entertainment lawyer should be able to help you with the structure of your "record company". Go to Amazon or your public library and get some books on the recording industry so you know enough to be a good client and to demand good legal help. With technology making it possible to have a high class recording studio in your basement, realize they are thousands like you trying to be the next MOTOWN or the next Michael Curb. The odds are slim and the road extremely hard. You show promise by asking at the outset about getting a lawyer, which is something few of your competitors do at the start and which is why they fail and you might just succeed. Good Luck.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

An experienced entertainment attorney can do all of the above and much more. Depending on their experience, they can provide immeasurable counsel and assistance in developing your business plan and goals.

Entertainment law topics