What does a dissmissal mean on a divorce procedure

Asked almost 3 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

procedures have been going on for the past 2 years and no resolution. there was a final resolution with the court about 6 months ago, but not a finalization due to financial concensus between the parties

1. Henry S. Gornbein

Pro

2

Answered . Your question is confusing. My guess is that the case was dismissed for lack of progress because there has been no final judgment entered with the court. If this is correct then the case will have to be either reinstated or restarted once there is a settlement and divorce judgment to be entered with the court. You are still legally married until the final judgment is entered with the court. Talk to an attorney for more advice and information. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

2. Peter L. Conway

1

Answered . Did you get so far as going to court and having one of you testify to the breakdown of the marriage and did you put the terms of a settlement on the record. If so, the settlement must be reduced to a written judgment and perhaps a few orders. Then, once all this is agreed to by the two of you, you must file a motion to set aside the dismissal. Then you both can ask the court to enter the judgment and orders.
    If you have a lawyer, he or she can guide you through the process.