What does a dissmissal mean on a divorce procedure

Asked almost 3 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

procedures have been going on for the past 2 years and no resolution. there was a final resolution with the court about 6 months ago, but not a finalization due to financial concensus between the parties

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Henry S. Gornbein


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question is confusing. My guess is that the case was dismissed for lack of progress because there has been no final judgment entered with the court. If this is correct then the case will have to be either reinstated or restarted once there is a settlement and divorce judgment to be entered with the court. You are still legally married until the final judgment is entered with the court. Talk to an attorney for more advice and information. Good luck to you.

    Henry Gornbein

  2. Peter L. Conway

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Did you get so far as going to court and having one of you testify to the breakdown of the marriage and did you put the terms of a settlement on the record. If so, the settlement must be reduced to a written judgment and perhaps a few orders. Then, once all this is agreed to by the two of you, you must file a motion to set aside the dismissal. Then you both can ask the court to enter the judgment and orders.
    If you have a lawyer, he or she can guide you through the process.

    I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia. My office is in Lapeer. You should not rely on this... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,162 answers this week

2,234 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,162 answers this week

2,234 attorneys answering