What does a credit repair attorney do for you?

Phoenix, AZ |

I was told that they remove debt by not disputing but using federal laws to assist you? I am interested in looking into this If that is the case.

The only federal law is the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The link is below, but I think you can see that all the credit repair attorney can do is file disputes & advise you on how to properly use credit in the future. Hope this perspective helps!

"Credit repair" and "attorney" are terms not usually used together. If debts appearing on your credit report are inaccurate or obsolete, a consumer lawyer who practices in the area of credit reporting will help you use the law to delete these accounts and thereby improve your credit.

But if the debts reported are accurate, no one can legally "remove" them. Most outfits that advertise "credit repair" services are on the shady side. They may advise you to file a bunch of frivolous disputes, or to use an alternative social security number in hopes of concealing which accounts actually belong to you.

Reputable lawyers and credit couseling services may advise you which debts to pay, if you cannot afford to pay them all. One consideration in this priority-setting process may be how long a bad debt can continue to be reported and affect your credit score.

Disclaimer: This site exists to provide information only. It is not legal advice. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am a Massachusetts lawyer. Any information provided on this site does not, except as explicitly stated, imply familiarity with laws or procedures peculiar to your state which may differ from those where I practice.

Perhaps this will shed some light: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0225-credit-repair-scams
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/moneymatters/dealing-with-credit-repair.shtml

I am not YOUR lawyer. Don't rely on answers to questions as legal advice. For legal advice contact a Bankruptcy Attorney for a consultation. Tokarska Law Center is a Federal Debt Relief Agency representing individuals and businesses in filing for bankrutpcy protection under the U.S. Bankrutpcy Code. Kathryn U. Tokarska is a San Diego Bankruptcy Attorney, owner of Tokarska Law Center, 185 West F Street #100, San Diego, CA 92101, (619) 285-1992 www.sdbankrupt.com