What does a credit repair attorney do for you?

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

I was told that they remove debt by not disputing but using federal laws to assist you? I am interested in looking into this If that is the case.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . The only federal law is the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The link is below, but I think you can see that all the credit repair attorney can do is file disputes & advise you on how to properly use credit in the future. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Deborah Gwen Roher

Pro

Answered . "Credit repair" and "attorney" are terms not usually used together. If debts appearing on your credit report are inaccurate or obsolete, a consumer lawyer who practices in the area of credit reporting will help you use the law to delete these accounts and thereby improve your credit.

But if the debts reported are accurate, no one can legally "remove" them. Most outfits that advertise "credit repair" services are on the shady side. They may advise you to file a bunch of frivolous disputes, or to use an alternative social security number in hopes of concealing which accounts actually belong to you.

Reputable lawyers and credit couseling services may advise you which debts to pay, if you cannot afford to pay them all. One consideration in this priority-setting process may be how long a bad debt can continue to be reported and affect your credit score.

3. Kathryn Ursula Tokarska

Answered . Perhaps this will shed some light: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0225-credi...
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/moneymatt...