What does a contractually liable debt mean?

Pamplin, VA |

I had a judgment on my report from my husband's non emergency outpatient medical bill. The responsibility read
"joint". However, after an investigation by TransUnion the responsibility read "contractually liable debt". I have never signed any paperwork. I did not know anything about this debt.

It means that there is a contract somewhere wherein you agreed to be responsible for the debt. If you did not sign any documents, you should ask the creditor to provide evidence of your contractual obligation.

It is possible that your debt is mislabeled. If your state is a community property state, you may be responsible for your husband's debt if the debt was incurred during your marriage. You should contact a local counsel to make sure what your current situation is concerning this judgment.

Jason J.L. Yang, Esq. is admitted to practice law in California and therefore, all posts are based on California law. The posts do not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.