What does a 30-day written notice of intent to vacate that is lease-required of the tenant should he decide to move mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Massillon, OH

A : I am the Landlord . B : There is a written provision in the lease requiring the tenant to give me a written 30 - day notice prior to moving out of their intent to do so . C : The lease is through Dec / 2013 so does this written notice apply only near the end of the lease , indicating that he is not going to renew the lease and is moving out , or can the tenant give me '30 - day written notice to vacate say in April / 2013 and they are no longer bound by the Dec / 2013 lease ? Or are they still bound by the lease through Dec / 2013 ? thanks

1. Andrew A Esposito

2

Answered . No attorney can tell you what this clause of your lease means without actually reviewing your entire lease, or the entire clause at the very least. I would also note, not knowing what your lease states or what clauses mean is not a good thing. You should take some time and invest in consulting with an attorney for an hour or so to make sure you understand the document that you are having your tenants signs and your rights under the lease.

Good luck,

Andrew A. Esposito
    www.westervillelaw.com

2. Peter Stephen Kirner

2

Answered . I agree with counsel. The answer is ONLY in the lease. IF the lease says that after the first lease expires, that the lease automatically renews for another year, THEN the tenant is bound by those terms, and MUST stay another year, or be sued by you for violating the lease (OR you could do what ever you want and let her out of the lease, as you are the landlord) . In the alternative, if the lease says that after the expiration of the lease period, the lease will turn into a month to month tenancy, THEN, she can give you 30 days notice and move out after that time without problems or liability. If the lease is silent, arguably it defaults to a month to month lease (see above) Good luck. There are VERY specific laws that relate to security deposits, and the return of them. Make sure you comply with them. Good luck. You might want to see an attorney as you appear to be a new landlord.