What does a "warrant immigration detainer hold" mean?

Fort Worth, TX |

My husband got arrested last night because he had 10 warrants 1 of them was for "assault causes Bi family member" that is the charge he is being held for. Well this afternoon I went to try to bond him out but they told me that he has an immigration hold and cant do nothing about it. What is going to happen now I'm so worried?

1. he is going to be processed for a deportation or removal hearing when you post the bond. find an attorney first like Yong Wood or Elizabeth Cedillo who can help you through the process. good luck.

The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez, Elizabeth Cedillo or Yong Wood as highly skilled and experienced. In South Texas I recommend Jodi Goodwin from Harlengin or Leonel Perez of Edinburg. In San Antonio I recommend Bob or Nancy Shivers or drive to Austin to see me or my talented associate Jacqueline Watson.

2. He will have to dispose of the assault case before he can be transferred to ICE for a hearing. He needs both a defense attorney and an immigration attorney. If he pleads to the assault case, he will likely be deported.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

3. The immigration hold means that even if you pay a bond issued by a criminal court, your husband will not be released as ICE wants to process him for removal. He has some serious charges pending against him and I encourage you to retain a criminal deportation lawyer accordingly as the outcome of the criminal case will impact his immigration case and your ability to keep your family unified.