What does a "warrant immigration detainer hold" mean?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

My husband got arrested last night because he had 10 warrants 1 of them was for "assault causes Bi family member" that is the charge he is being held for. Well this afternoon I went to try to bond him out but they told me that he has an immigration hold and cant do nothing about it. What is going to happen now I'm so worried?

1. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . he is going to be processed for a deportation or removal hearing when you post the bond. find an attorney first like Yong Wood or Elizabeth Cedillo who can help you through the process. good luck.

2. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

4

Answered . He will have to dispose of the assault case before he can be transferred to ICE for a hearing. He needs both a defense attorney and an immigration attorney. If he pleads to the assault case, he will likely be deported.

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

4

Answered . The immigration hold means that even if you pay a bond issued by a criminal court, your husband will not be released as ICE wants to process him for removal. He has some serious charges pending against him and I encourage you to retain a criminal deportation lawyer accordingly as the outcome of the criminal case will impact his immigration case and your ability to keep your family unified.