What does "trial management" mean? (criminal drug case)

Panama City, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

after several "pre trial conference" hearings, the judge ordered "trial management"

Every Court will have a slightly different nomenclature for the various hearings leading up to a trial. You need to ask your attorney what 'trial management' means in that particular court. If you don't have an attorney it sounds like you are going to need one, as trail management sounds like your case is going to trial fairly soon.

The court is in Florida, 14th judicial circuit, Elijah Smiley is the judge. (It's not actually for myself, it's for someone else.) They have a public defender but they are facing 3 felony possession of controlled substance charges and one misdemeanor felony possession of paraphernalia charge as well. It's been almost a year since the arrest, I'm hoping the charges won't be dropped or that the gravity of the situation is no longer such a serious issue. So my next question is are the rules different according to each state or to each district? Thank You For Your Help!

I agree with the other answer. Sometimes it is called a case management conference, and there are plea conferences, and motion hearings, and of course, docket sounding. All, in essence leading up to trial and mostly in pre trials and case management or trial management conferences the judge wants to know if there is going to be a trial, how long it will take, and is each side ready for trial.

It depends on the jurisdiction. Trial management conference could mean that the judge wants all motions to be heard by a certain date before setting trial. There are various hearings such as docket calls, soundings, calendar calls, pretrial conferences and other hearings that virtually all mean the same thing and basically lets the court know the status of the case and any and all issues that need to be addressed.