Skip to main content

What does "terminate the court's jurisdiction to award spousal support to petitioner" ? on CA FL-120 mean?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

I'm the petitioner and requesting spousal support. He works and I do not - does this mean he is asking to not pay spousal support? Also the box for 9f (spousal support payable to) is checked for respondent. Why would the party with the job request spousal support from the one not working??? Both children are in my custody 85%.

Attorney Answers 2


You asked several questions. The phrase terminating the court's jurisdiction to award spousal support to the petitioner as I understand it from your post is that the court would order that your ex husband can no longer pay you spousal support AND the court would have no authority to enter such an order from here on.

I don't know the facts of your marriage or your divorce but I would not sign such a document or agree to it until you've consulted with a lawyer. Many lawyers offer unbundled services and flat fees . That means, they'd represent you as to certain aspects of your case so that your costs are reasonable.

I would not sign any document if you don't understand what it means.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If the request is in the petition itself, the request does not mean much. However, I agree you should NEVER sign a document you do not understand.

All information and answers provided are for reference purposes only and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Further, this information is NOT to be considered legal advice regarding your particular situation, and an Attorney-Client relationship is not created by viewing this information. Changes in the law or the specifics of your case may result in legal interpretations that are different from those presented. You should always seek advice directly from an attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics