What does "terminate the court's jurisdiction to award spousal support to petitioner" ? on CA FL-120 mean?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I'm the petitioner and requesting spousal support. He works and I do not - does this mean he is asking to not pay spousal support? Also the box for 9f (spousal support payable to) is checked for respondent. Why would the party with the job request spousal support from the one not working??? Both children are in my custody 85%.

1. Hillary Johns

2

Answered . You asked several questions. The phrase terminating the court's jurisdiction to award spousal support to the petitioner as I understand it from your post is that the court would order that your ex husband can no longer pay you spousal support AND the court would have no authority to enter such an order from here on.

I don't know the facts of your marriage or your divorce but I would not sign such a document or agree to it until you've consulted with a lawyer. Many lawyers offer unbundled services and flat fees . That means, they'd represent you as to certain aspects of your case so that your costs are reasonable.

I would not sign any document if you don't understand what it means.

2. Richard M Renkin

Pro

2

Answered . If the request is in the petition itself, the request does not mean much. However, I agree you should NEVER sign a document you do not understand.