What does "petition to probate will in solemn form" mean? I have to sign a document in front of a notary and I don't know why?

Mcdonough, GA |

I have a uncle that passed away, his brother (another uncle) is named in the will as Executer. I received a document stating,at your uncles request, i am fowarding to you a document entitled "Acknowledgedment of Service and Assent to probate Instanter". It says it is necessary for me to sign in order for him to probate the will. There is a copy of the will, but doesn't give a lot of information. I have know idea what any of this means..thanks

1. You are being asked to sign the Petition to Probate becuase you are an heir at law. By signing the acknowledgement you are consenting to his being appointed Executor. You may not be a beneficiary under the Will, but in Georgia you are most likely an heir at law becuase the Uncle/Executor needs your signature to proceed.

If you need further help, you may reach me at lisa@roladerandrolader.com

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied

Wills and estates topics