What does "order setting aside judgment of guilt" mean?

Asked about 2 years ago - Glendale, AZ

M grandson was convicted of possession of marijuana in 2009. We asked the judge to dismiss and set aside the conviction. We got an email that said"order setting aside judgement of guilt". Along with the date. No further information was provided. I called the court to ask exactly what that meant. The clerk replied that I have to get a lawyer to interpret the answer. Help. Thanks for any assistance

1. Paul E Knost

1

Best Answer

Answered . As Mr. Kephart said, it looks like the court "set aside" the conviction. This is the best you can do in Arizona for cleaning up your record. It allows you to restore your right to vote and right to bear arms. But you still have to disclose the fact of the conviction when asked (by potential employers for example), and it will still be used to enhance a sentence for any future offenses (hopefully there will be none).

2. Brian G Di Pietro

2

Answered . The court granted the motion. As to the right to bear arms that right needed to be specifically requested in your motion. If it was not then by law you are not able to posess weapons.

3. David Kephart

1

Answered . Sounds to me like the judge granted the motion to set aside.