What does "off calendar" in a divorce case mean?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Clemente, CA

I'm currently in a divorce case in California. Scheduled MSC has been continued 4 times, 2 times by me (surgery), and once by petitioner. Today at scheduled MSC, my attorney was not there. Opposing asked for a continuance ( my attorney was in a trial).

The judge ordered it "off calendar". Does that mean I have to start all over again? What are the next steps to get this to resume again?

1. Cristin Michelle Lowe

Answered . Off calendaring means taking the matter off the Court's calendar. Judges typically do not like continuing matters multiple times because there are other cases that would have used that time. No, you don't have to start all over again, but you will probably have to file either an At-Issue Memorandum, Status Conference Report, or Case Management Conference Statement (they're all essentially the same document but each county has its own title for it) to get it "back on calendar," meaning set for another MSC. It doesn't sound like you have a trial date yet, but if you do, the next step is trial. I'm sure your attorney will do a great job explaining the process to you and getting the case back on calendar.

2. Mark Brian Baer

Answered . Off calendar means that the MSC was not continued. Instead there is no MSC calendared in the case. An MSC is a Mandatory Settlement Conference. If the court took it of calendar, the case will proceed to trial without such a conference, unless and until the court again orders one.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.