What does "NONSUIT/DISMISSAL, FINAL (TRCP162) (FAMILY), mean in the Texas family courts?

Houston, TX |

This is listed under the Judgements tab on the Harris County District Clerk's website.

Non-suit/dismissal under TRCP162 means dismissal with or without (depending on the circumstances of case) prejudice.

What does with or without prejudice mean?

Germaine J Tanner

Germaine J Tanner

'With Prejudice' means the case is dismissed and the Plaintiff/Petitioner is prohibited from presenting the same issues in a later filed lawsuit. 'Without Prejudice' means the case is dismissed, but the Plaintiff/Petitioner is not prohibited from raising the same issue at a later time.

Prior to the dismissal statement there was a trial by jury requested. Iis this dismissal referring to the trial by jury or is the entire case being dismissed.

Germaine J Tanner

Germaine J Tanner

I can't say for sure without seeing what you are referring to.

I'm guessing but it sounds like your case was dismissed. You failed to finish it. The court has closed your case and put your file away. You now have to start over from scratch.

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.