What does "no fault" divorce mean? Can i just divorce my wife or we have to agree to divorce? whats the process?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

If i want to divorce my wife is it as easy as just saying i want to divorce and then we divide our assets?

1. Marco Caviglia

8

3

Answered . No fault simply means that the grounds for divorce can be "irretrievable breakdown of the marriage" and it is no longer necessary to show that the other spouse is the bad guy. Everything else is the same.

2. Douglas M. Scheinman

5

2

Best Answer

Answered . People often get caught up between 'no fault' and 'uncontested'. Fault is the reason for the divorce. Before 2010, people often used abandonment, or adultery, or cruel and inhuman treatment as the
    fault grounds, or reason for the divorce. Now, a divorce can be granted based upon a marriage being irretrievably broken. The uncontested divorce is where the parties agree on the division of assets, custody, child support and sign all necessary papers. Parties can agree to divorce (no fault) but get caught up in the division of assets which often delays the completion of the process. An experienced attorney can discuss all of your rights to help you make an informed decision on how best to proceed.

3. Ernest DuBose

7

2

Answered . Yes you can do an uncontested divorce with your own stipulation

4. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

6

2

Answered . No fault means you don't have to sling mud and kill each other over grounds (adultery, cruel and inhuman treatment, abandonment, prison for three or more years and living separate and apart pursuant to a separation agreement.

With no fault, you just file alleging an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. No more mud slinging and killing.

Then comes custody and financials over which to sling mud and kill each other. So the process is not that simple. There's always a fight and it's always lengthy.

5. David Alexander Browde

Pro

6

1

Answered . Not quite that easy - but it can be quite easy if you both agree on all issues in which case you can file on the grounds of irretrievable breakdown of the marriage and be done with everything quite quickly.

6. Susan Marjory Caplin

6

1

Answered . Your grounds for divorce in NY would have to assert an irretrievable breakdown of the narriage for at least six monts