What does "judgment proof' mean

Asked over 4 years ago - Lomita, CA

I am in a civil lawsuit, and I am being sued [along with 1700 others] for TradeMark infringment. The Plaintiff started suing the Owner, who had now declared Bankruptcy, and now is suing all of the Agents. How do I get to be "Judgment Proof"?

1. Nicholas Donovan Heimlich

1

Best Answer

Answered . You should consult an attorney to defend you against the trademark lawsuit to prevent a judgment in the first place. Judgment proof means that you have no money, assets and will not ever have any, so the judgment holder won't go after you. Keep in mind this is not a strategy, as a judgment is good for 10 year and can be renewed for another 10 years at least. Further, you may come into money unexpectedly later in life. I would try to see about a settlement to avoid being in forced poverty until the judgment is satisfied. If you really have no assets and the judgment is obtained, you may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney.

A complete answer would require a review of all relevant documents and a consultation at a minimum. This answer is a general response and does not form an attorney-client relationship until that relationship is confirmed in writing. Best of luck.

2. Steven Alan Fink

1

Answered . If you have no assets, no income, and no prospects of getting any money in the foreseeable future, you are judgment proof.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . One who cannot pay a judgment is judgment proof.

If you try to become judgment proof by anything other than natural means, a fraud suit could be prosecuted.

4. Joseph A Blaszkow

Answered . The phrase "Judgemnt Proof" generally means someone does not have sufficient assets to make it worthwhile for a creditor to come after them to collect an obligation. If you are not judement proof you do not want to become so, although perhaps defending the case will have that effect. Good luck.

The author of this post is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This post is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.