What does "held without bond" mean?

Mansfield, TX |

I have someone in jail and the court says "no bond". What does that mean?

1. It means either the bond hasn't yet been set, or the judge ordered a "No Bond" which is usually for serious criminal charges.

The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

2. It means that, at the present time, you cannot bail the person out, though that status can change.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

3. They could be on probation as well. You will need an attorney to try to get a bond set.

4. No bond has been set. Contact a local attorney and discuss your options with him.

5. It means that the Judge has issued an order that he can not post a bond.

6. Typically, this indicated either a very serious crime where the defendant is a flight risk or danger to the community or a situation where the judge wants to see them first -- like a probation violation.