What does "does 1 to 25" mean?

Corona, CA |

I am the defendant in a personal injury lawsuit and dont understand the Does 1 to 25 after my name mean

That simply refers to culpable parties who have yet to be identified. Essentially, the plaintiff is "covering their bases" by naming these parties as "Does" now so they can go back and amend their complaint if they learn through the discovery process that someone else is also liable.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents.

Likely preserving the right to sue others; yet unnamed. John Doe fictitious.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

"Does [which is plural for "Doe"] 1-25" simply refers to any defendants whom the plaintiff has yet to identify.

Consider them to be blanks saved for the addition of other defendants to be named later as a result of the discovery process.

Victoria L Clemans

Victoria L Clemans

Each Doe is like a "Jane Doe"

"Does" are named in the complaint so that if the attorney discovers after the lawsuit is filed the name of someone who should be named as a party to the lawsuit , the doe can be replaced with the real name of the party. It has no real significance for you as a named defendant.

These are unnamed defendants to preserve your right to name more people or entities as defendants if and when you discover their identity. Hopefully, you have an attorney and, if so, you should direct these questions to him or her.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Defendants #1-25 not named.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

These are the defendants the plaintiff does not yet know about. However, if the statute of limitations expires and it turns out the plaintiff did know about the defendant but failed to specifically name them in the lawsuit, the plaintiff may be barred from naming them even as a doe defendant.

Defendant's not named yet.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.