What does "disposed" mean in a divorce by the supreme court?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Kissimmee, FL

I never knew the status of my divorce since he left me barefoot and pregnant. I was sent some papers and my attorney back then told me not to sign (long story) , so I didn't sign anything. Up to this day I think I'm still married and I want to get divorce or find out if I'm already divorced. I pulled out the papers from the court dated 2001 and I went online and checked by the Index no and it reads under status "disposed" and under "Justice" it reads no justice assigned. What does that all mean and how can I find out if I'm divorced or not. Thank you. Ms. Young

1. Daniel C. Oliver

1

Answered . You should have competent legal help, both back in 2001 and certainly now. A good family law attorney can help to find out whether or not you are still married. And if you are, that attorney can help you with getting a divorce. The longer you wait, the worse the situation will get. I've seen this same story play out many times, and it has the potential to be a very difficult (and expensive) legal situation. Don't delay.

Good luck to you.

2. Joanna Marie Mitchell

Pro

1

Answered . A competent attorney should be able to tell you whether you are divorced or not either during an initial consultation or by making a few phone calls thereafter. "Disposed" just means the case is no longer pending. However, it could have been judicially dismissed due to inactivity or the case might have proceeded without you due to a default being entered. You really need to consult with an attorney.

Detailed answers to many frequently asked questions regarding divorce, custody, visitation, child support, alimony, paternity and other Family Law matters are located on my website at http://www.mitchell-pa.com/FAQ_Main.html Be sure to stop by and check it out! And of course, if you have a question that is not addressed, please feel free to email me directly.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

Joanna Mitchell
    Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    614 E. Hwy 50, Suite 327
    Clermont, FL 34711-3164
    PH: (352) 324-2444
    FX: (352) 324-2229
    Email: jmitchell@mitchell-pa.com
    Web: www.mitchell-pa.com

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

1

Answered . Disposed means the case has been marked off the calendar. You go to the courthouse and check the file to see what has been done.