What does 'disposed' mean, when referring to the status of a domestic violence case?

Beaverton, OR |
Filed under: Domestic violence

I looked on the Multnomah County Oregon Sheriff website to check the status of my case. It sayd 'disposed, next to all three charges and I am out on bail. What does disposed mean? That the case was thrown out?

1. No, it means that the charges have been initially dealt with and you are out of jail. Nothing has been resolved.

This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

2. The website is the Sheriff's office, not the District Attorney. The police's involvement in the case (arrest, etc.) is more or less done ("disposed"). That doesn't change that you have an ongoing criminal case, with charges pending. If you don't have a lawyer, talk to one immediately, so you can get your case going. Criminal cases move very quickly. Most of us that do criminal law do free initial consults, so get a few quotes and engage representation as soon as you can. Good luck!

My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order to provide true (and reliable) legal advice, an attorney must be able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather the appropriate information. In order for an attorney-client relationship to exist, you and I both have to agree the the terms of such an agreement.

3. In short, it doesn't mean anything, I agree with Ms. Summer. Don't wait and see when it comes to criminal charges and possible penalties. Get on the horn now and start consulting with attorneys and finding one you trust.