What does "Complaint Hearing Merits Moot" mean in a contested divorce matter?

Upper Marlboro, MD |

In MD, I am a pro se plaintiff in a contested divorce case, no kids, no property, no abuse. I brought all my evidence to the Complaint Merits Hearing last week but didn't realize I should have brought my witness on that date too. Judge barely let me speak and told me I need a witness. Now my case (still active) results online reads "Complaint Hearing Merits Moot". What does that mean? Is my case dismissed and I need to re-file? Is it too late to request another hearing date so I can bring a witness?

1. You should immediately file a request to reschedule the merits hearing. In Maryland, you must not only testify under oath that certain facts are true, but you must have a "corroborating" witness who can confirm, based on their personal knowledge of you and/or your spouse, that the facts you testify are true. The factual grounds on which a court is legally permitted to grant a divorce are set forth by statute. Handling things pro se is a risk, as there are often many aspects to the legal system which non-lawyers do not understand. Judges and domestic relations masters cannot offer you legal advice or help you try your case, and must apply the statutes and procedural rules to everyone equally, represented by lawyers or not. If you cannot afford a lawyer, there is Self-Represented Clinic located in the Circuit Court for Prince George's County, Courthouse, Room 2435 Atrium, (301) 780-8000, Hours of Operation: 9:00 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Friday 9:00 a.m. to Noon only). Clients may sign in for a twenty minute time slot to meet with an attorney. Sign in starts at 9:00 a.m. and at 1:00 p.m. until all slots for the a.m. or p.m. are filled on a first come first served basis. The clinic is located in room 2435. Good luck to you.