What does "Case set on status call" mean in a civil litigation case?

Asked about 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

The date has been set for November, is there also anyway of having it sooner?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael James Perillo Jr.


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . A "status call" is simply a scheduled court date at which time the judge will inquire as to the status of the lawsuit. The court will likely want to know if all the parties have appeared in the suit. In other words, has each party filed an appearance along with appropriate pleadings in the matter, The judge may inquire as to the status of discovery. Have depositions been scheduled? Have interrogatories been issued? Are there any unique evidentiary or discovery issues in the case? Keep in mind that just about any matter involving the mechanics of the suit may be discussed at a status conference. The court will probably enter an order regarding a discovery timline (setting dates for the completion of certain discovery) and may even schedule a future trial date.

    It is important for the plaintiff, or his/her attorney if represented by counsel, to personally appear at status conferences. In some jurisdictions, the failure of the plaintiff or plaintiff's attorney to appear at a status call will result in the suit being dismissed for want of prosecution.

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this answer is not legal advice, does not establish an attorney-client... more
  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The court has calendared the matter to have the parties or representatives appear in November to report on how the case is going i.e the case status. You may, of course, ask for any particular relief needed before then by following procedures and courtroom rules to set motions and hearings.

  3. Tara Leigh Goodwin

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . This means the Judge is going to have a "status conference" in November, which means that the Judge will call the case at the date and time on the notice, and ask the attorneys or parties to update him or her on what is going on in the case. The only way to get the case to be heard earlier, would be to file some type of motion asking the court for some type of ruling and/or relief. You would need to talk to an attorney about whether or not there is any type of motion that is appropriate in your case. There are also various advice desks at the Daley Center which may be willing to assist you in answering this type of question.

    The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,118 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,118 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering