What does "B.T.C. case" mean on a parental rights termination case that is in the Courts of Appeals in Kern County, California?

Tehachapi, CA |

"10 day letter sent (B.T.C. case)." This is what I saw this morning when I logged on to the Courts of Appeals website to checkup on my parental rights termination case. I petitioned to terminate the rights of the biological father, it was granted, he appealed the decision. I just want to know what it means. The opposing counsel has the tenancy to send my mail to the wrong address "on accident" so I do not want to run out of time if I need to respond or do something. I am representing myself so I need time to prepare the needed documents. Can someone please help? Thank you in advance.

1. I don't know the answer to your specific question, but the clerks at the Court of Appeals are really helpful people. I would suggest you call the Court, be very respectful -- make sure to have your case number handy. Tell then what you've seen online and that you don't know what the BTC stands for. They will be able to tell you. While you have them on the phone, make sure that they have your correct address, because anything they send out to you should go to you as well as your opposing counsel. You should not have to wait for the opposing counsel to send you things from the Court. When you get the answer, comment back, so that we can all learn. Thanks, and good luck.

The information provided is general in nature and should not be considered as legal advice. Shannon Richards is licensed to practice only in California. No answers provided shall constitute and attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship is formed unless and until a potential client contacts the office, meets with Ms. Richards and executes a written fee agreement. Law & Mediation Office of Shannon Richards www.napafamilylaw.com

2. Call or visit the Court of Appeals.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

3. I have bee practicing appellate law for 27 years and I have no idea what "B.T.C." means. But I do know that every appellate courthouse has its own "culture". I would wait until you receive the notice in the mail and/or a phone call back from the clerk. There is little to worry about. There are very few traps or hard deadlines at the Court of Appeal once the Notice of Appeal is timely filed, and you will receive copies of all notices directly from the court.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.