What does " To be held in arbitration" mean in a divorce filing?

West Palm Beach, FL |

Nothing, you may be confusing some terms. Arbitration is not applicable to divorce proceedings.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951
Palm-Beach-Divorces.com

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.

Leonore M. Greller

Leonore M. Greller

Arbitration for divorce or property distribution pursuant to divorce is not permitted in Florida. Mediation prior to final hearing is proper.

In a divorce, you can resolve financial issues in arbitration. Arbitration would only apply if you previously agreed to submit a dispute to arbitration. Otherwise, I agree with the prior answer that you may be confusing some terms.

Richard J. Mockler

• Tampa Divorce Attorney

• Florida Super Lawyers Profile - Tampa Divorce Attorney

• Become a Fan on Facebook

• Follow me on Twitter

• Family Law Rights Blog

• Tampa Military Divorce Blog

• Tampa Divorce Lawyer Blog

• ***If this answer was helpful, please mark it as such and remember to select a “best answer.”

Family law cases are usually required to go to mediation prior to scheduling a hearing before a judge. I am less familiar with arbitration in family law cases, but as previously stated, may be applicable in financial matters.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce