What documents to bring on court date

Columbus, OH |

we have one child? I just wanted to know what documents to carry on court date

It totally depends on what type of court proceeding you are attending. The documents you bring to a final divorce hearing are very different depending on whether the divorce is contested or uncontested or if it is a dissolution.

I would pay for an hour or two with a family law attorney who can help you prepare your documents properly. It will save you significant time and stress rather than trying to make sure you have everything yourself.

The depends on the court hearing. If a Dissolution was filed, then the documents that need to be presented (Decree and any other court documents) most likely have already been prepared. You may need to submit the Decree at or before or after the hearing depending on your local court policy. You may need to take a photo id. A lot of the local courts have on line listing for the final hearing.

If this is the first hearing in a divorce action, it is most likely a scheduling conference. If there are temporary orders and an objection was filed, then this may be a hearing on support. If there was a request for a property hearing to be held at the scheduling conference, more information will be needed.

Look at the notice you received from the court on the hearing. Call your local court and give them the case number, ask how much time is scheduled. Then call an attorney and get a consultation BEFORE the hearing. They should be able to provide you with the needed guidance and / or legal representation.